UK Health Security Agency The official blog of the UK Health Security Agency, providing expert insight on the organisation’s work and all aspects of health security
- How to improve air quality in your home while making it more energy efficientby Blog Editor on December 1, 2023 at 4:09 pm
Climate change is a growing threat, and our homes contribute significantly to the problem through energy use and emissions. However, as we make our homes more energy-efficient, we need to ensure they remain healthy environments. On average in the UK, …
- How GPs help us monitor the spread of flu and the effectiveness of vaccinesby Blog Editor on November 28, 2023 at 4:23 pm
Established in 1957, the Royal College of GPs Research and Surveillance Centre is one of Europe’s oldest general practice sentinel networks. It is an active research and surveillance unit that collects and monitors data from over 2000 practices across England and Wales. The RCGP collaborates with the University of Oxford, and UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) in the running of the RSC, and in this blog we will explore the importance of surveillance data how it underpins our understanding of our health across the nation.
- A look back at the UKHSA annual conference for 2023by Blog Editor on November 17, 2023 at 6:12 pm
Our second annual conference, UKHSA2023, brought together a range of people involved in public health and health protection science for speeches, panel discussions and exhibitions. It was a fascinating and busy 2 days in Leeds, with representatives joining from across the sector.
- The fight against antimicrobial resistance: progress and challengesby Blog Editor on November 15, 2023 at 3:27 pm
Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) – when microbes evolve to resist the medicines designed to kill them – is an urgent global threat. In England, resistant infections rose by 4% in 2022 after decreasing during the pandemic. Action is needed to curb …
- Achieving more equitable outcomes: UKHSA Health Equity for Health Security Strategyby Blog Editor on November 8, 2023 at 4:26 pm
Ahead of conference 2023, we outline UKHSA’s progress on health equity efforts and developing a 3-year roadmap to address inequities like uneven vaccination rates, that leave some groups disproportionately impacted by health threats, to ensure safety for all communities. Read more in our latest blog post.